The Station Nightclub Fire, with one hundred lives lost, is the fourth deadliest nightclub fire in U.S. history. This fire has had many studies and models done on what went wrong and what could have been done to prevent it. The primary focus of modeling is to provide mathematical and scientific research into the behavior and problems associated with fire. The Fire Research Division at the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) has developed different kinds of fire models for more than 30 years. Currently, it maintains two. The first is a “zone model” called the Consolidated Model of Fire Growth and Smoke Transport (CFAST) and the second is a “field model” called the Fire Dynamics Simulator (FDS). The United States government in their analysis of the Station Nightclub fire that occurred in West Warwick, Rhode Island utilized the FDS in evaluating the reason for the spread, behavior, and impact of the fire.
For this assignment, you will be researching and discussing the following aspects of the Station Nightclub Fire.
1. Provide an overview of the Station Nightclub Fire.
2. Discuss all aspects of fire dynamics pertaining to this fire from ignition to flashover. Be sure to include the furnishings and ignitable materials along with the fire spread and heat release rate.
3. Discuss the new codes that were brought about as a result of this fire?
4. Research a Fire Dynamics Simulator Model that was done on the Station Nightclub Fire and discuss the following aspects of that model:
A. Summarize the fire model simulation.
B. What were they trying to determine with this simulation?
C. What were the results of the simulation?
D. What recommendations were made as a result of the simulation?
Do not limit yourself to the above four items. Add anything else that you think is relevant. There is a lot of information out there on this fire but one great place to start your research is the NIST website.
Your paper must be a minimum of 4 full APA formatted pages not counting the title page, abstract page, and reference page and include 4 academically recognizable sources.
Please see the APA Guides in the Course Materials announcement or in the Course Materials section of the Lessons Course Overview for further information on the proper APA formatting of your paper.
Please create your response in a Word document and upload as an attachment for submission.
All writing assignments must be submitted in APA format and shall include the following:
1. Title Page
3. Main Body (With proper in-text citations) to include an Introduction and Conclusion
4. Reference Page (Be sure to pay attention to the indentions for each source)
Be sure to include a correct Running Head on each page.
All writing assignments must meet the following page setup:
1. Times New Roman font
2. 12 Point font size
3. Double Spaced
4. 1 inch Page Margins: Top, Bottom, Left and Right (Not 1.25 inches)
These instructions must be followed or points will be deducted.
It is your responsibility to ensure your paper is formatted according to APA guidelines.